Mari's Reviews > Awkward

Awkward by Marni Bates

Jan 08, 12

Read in January, 2012

One word: hilarious! I loved how insanely awkward Mackenzie is. I loved how Jane, Corey and Mack's brother Dylan were so protective and loyal to her. And I love Logan, as in "can I have him for myself?" love him. Awkward is chock-full of pop-culture references and for the most part, it works. Of course, the downside to this is it makes the story feel dated. A good example would be that of a celebrity mentioning his wife, when everyone knows (well, everyone who has read Hollywood breaking news in 2011) that the two have gone kaput. And oh, I'm pretty sure @aplusk was "tweeting" and not "twittering" about Mack. I nitpick, I know. Nevertheless, this book is funny, refreshing, and a quick read.

*****

Opening line:

You probably think you know me ... and I understand why. You’ve probably read about me on AOL or heard Conan O’Brien or Jon Stewart reference me for the punch line of some joke.

Fave lines:

“Funny. So I was in the library finishing my AP Calc homework when Josh asked if I’d seen Battlestar Galactica.” She sighed. I kid you not, sighed. “That means he’s into me, right?”
--- Note: reading into a crush's littlest actions: reviewer is also guilty as charged.

I killed him, I thought numbly. I killed him with my awkwardness!

3.5 Stars

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awkward.