Velma's Reviews > The Magnificent Ambersons

The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: ml100, pulitzer, challenge-ml100-rr100-176books, ebooks, fiction, 2012-reads, classics, american-northeast
Recommended to Velma by: Modern Library 100
Read from January 18 to 24, 2012

Although it might go on a tad longer than necessary to make its point(s), and the ending might be a skoche on this side of saccharine, I thoroughly enjoyed this tale of a fin de siècle power family undergoing the transformation from the 1% to the 99%. Everything changes, everything stays the same.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magnificent Ambersons.

Quotes Velma Liked

Booth Tarkington
“Whatever does not pretend at all has style enough.”
Booth Tarkington, The Magnificent Ambersons

01/19/2012
20.0% "Enjoying this *much* more than I anticipated."
01/21/2012
30.0% ""...he did not care to read a book or go to a play about people he would not care to meet at his own dinner table." How BORING!"
01/22/2012
60.0% "Such graceful, elegant writing, seemingly effortless."
01/22/2012
65.0% ""Gossip is never fatal...until it is denied. Submit to gossip and you kill it; fight it and you make it strong. People will forget almost any slander except one that's been fought." I wonder if the current crop of political candidates would agree?"
01/23/2012
75.0% ""...the core of their idealism was this: "The more prosperous my beloved city, the more prosperous beloved I!" Everything changes, everything stays the same."
01/24/2012
100.0% "Treacle endings annoy me."
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Hubby made me watch the Orson Wells movie of this, but I've never read the book. Since I live in Indiana now, I feel like I should read his stuff since Tarkington was a Hoosier. :}

Velma Did you like the film? I'm hoping to rent it this week or next. I'd never heard of either the book or the movie until I set out to read the ML Top 100, but I enjoyed it very much; look for my review later today.

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa It's been almost 20 years since we watched it together and I don't remember much about it except that I wasn't as wowed by it as hubby was. He has a thing for Orson Wells movies, I think. He keeps pestering me to put Lady From Shanghai on the Netflix queue so the kids can watch it too.

I'm sure I'll enjoy your review, as always!

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sounds about like the movie...what little I remembered. ;)