Traci (The Reading Geek)'s Reviews > Dearly, Departed

Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel

Jan 17, 12

Read from January 08 to 10, 2012

Lia Habel's Dearly, Departed is the story of Nora who lives in the year 2195 in New Victoria. Nora rather spend her time learning about war history than attending parties. However, her life is completely changed when she is almost kidnapped by an army of zombies and learns about a virus called "The Laz," which raises the dead. Nora also meets Bram who is a young zombie soldier and soon a relationship begins to develop.

I loved Dearly, Departed and from the moment I opened this book, I couldn't put it down. The story and characters are well written and strongly developed. Nora is such a great protagonist. She doesn't like the things that most girls her age are supposed to be interested in. Instead of dresses and parties, Nora is interested in learning about war. She has been through much after recently losing her father and losing her mother years before that. She is tough though and puts up a fight when she needs to.

Bram is a zombie soldier whose body is still mostly in tact. I'm a bit of a huge zombie fan and I thought the zombies in this story were so interesting. Bram is also noble though and wants to do what is right. He completely stole my heart away. I loved how the relationship between Nora and Bram develops slowly and is strongly based on trust. There are several other side characters that I loved as well. Pamela is Nora's best friend and her family is not as wealthy as Nora's. Her character grew on me more much later on in the story though. Then there are Bram's zombie friends, Chas and Tom, who I adored and thought were hilarious.

I feel as though Dearly, Departed was written just for me. It has all of my favorite elements; a dystopian setting, a Victorian setting, and zombies. I admit I was a bit nervous and hesitant about how combining these elements would play out but, it was better than I could have ever imagined. I'm completely fascinated by the setting and although it is pretty scary, I would kind of love to live there. Habel creates a great balance of action, drama, and romance. I really enjoyed how the chapters alternated between several characters because it helped move the story along. I loved the ending and although it doesn't leave off on a huge cliffhanger, I am dying for the next book. I can't recommend Dearly, Departed enough, it's an exciting and fascinating story that you won't want to put down.

Originally posted on: thereadinggeek.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dearly, Departed.

01/08/2012 page 45