Katie Rose's Reviews > Voices of Dragons

Book: Voices of Dragons
Author: Carrie Vaughn
Page #: 309
Star #: 4

Voices of Dragons by Carrie Vaughn was a fun read. A seventeen year old girl had an accident while climbing one day and was thrown across an important border; the one keeping peace between dragons and humans. Ironically, a dragon on the other side rescued her. A friendship was formed. Unfortunately, a war had been rising for years and the pair are stuck in the middle of it with government officials, flaming fires, death, and chaos. Add in a twist of love, attachment, and friendship, and you have an interesting book.

I felt the book earned four stars instead of five because although it had a captivating storyline, there were several mistakes.

One of these mistakes was at the beginning of the book. The author, Carrie Vaughn, started MANY sentences with "she". A huge turn off, but after pushing through it, she seemed to settle back into an okay range of overusing words. For an extreme grammar nazi, I would not suggest this book. On the other hand, if you have the ability to overlook those details and become enveloped inside of a story, I recommend this book.

Also, on the topic of grammar, Carrie Vaughn put several things as singulars instead of plural as they should have been. These were mainly centered around simple things such as eyes or arms. A common mistake and easily overlooked.

Another mistake was the history. I feel as though Carrie Vaughn should have spread the history throughout the book more, instead of one giant section on it which intimidates the readers and, frankly, tempts them to skip it all together.

The end was disappointing and a cliffhanger. Definitely leading into another book. I feel as though it could have been wrapped up better for people who don't wish to read the second book or don't have immediate access to the sequel.

The book was captivating to a certain point. The action scenes were exhilarating and left the reader on the edge of their seat. You could imagine some things if you used your imagination while reading. Characters were filled out well. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in dragons, paranormal, etc.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voices of Dragons.