Laura's Reviews > Princess at Sea

Princess at Sea by Dawn Cook

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: read-more-than-once, read-in-2012, own

I think I like this book more than the first, as Tess becomes a more complex character.

In The Decoy Princess, all of the action takes place quickly. Tess discovers that her entire life has been a lie, and has to outwit and outfight trained soldiers in order to save her kingdom from a deranged younger son. Before she is even able to process her identity, she is told about the world of "players" and "pieces", the true powers behind the throne, and her actual importance as Kavenlow's apprentice.

As Princess at Sea opens, Tess has had time to figure out what this all means, what she wants, what her life will be like. Life as a player means constant danger, no childbirth, and loving people will only leave them in danger as well. These thoughts make Tess much more interesting to read.

When I first read this book (I think when it first came out), I was annoyed by the major plot twist ((view spoiler) , but during this reread, I looked for it from the very beginning and agreed. It didn't feel out of character now, although I still would have liked it to be gentler.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess at Sea.