Steve's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: classic, romance

Elizabeth Bennett is one of five daughters of an early nineteenth century gentleman. Upon their father s death, his estate will be entailed away to a distant and obnoxious cousin. The girls mother considers it her mission to get them advantageously married. The prideful Mr Darcy however isn t even considered. He is far above Lizzie s station, and she is fairly sure she detests the man. Surely her first impressions couldn t be wrong& [return][return]When you consider classics, one of the books likely to spring to mind is Jane Austen s Pride and Prejudice , probably one of the best known if not neccesarily the best of the plethora of nineteenth century classics. I was first drawn to reading this book after watching the BBC television adaptation and to my surprise hugely enjoying it. This is not a book to be rushed, and it s not the gripping thriller that modern society invariably demands, but I found it, while slow at times, hugely enjoyable. This has perhaps opened the door for me to read more Jane Austen novels, and more of the classics in general. It s difficult to ascertain how much of my enjoyment of the book comes from already having seen the tv adaptation, but enjoy it I did. Recommended.