Steve's Reviews > Nathaniel's Nutmeg: or, The True and Incredible Adventures of the Spice Trader Who Changed the Course of History

Nathaniel's Nutmeg by Giles Milton

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: history, popular
Read in August, 2008

This is a non-fiction popular history about the spice race between the Dutch and the English. These two nations were fiercely competing in the 1600's to control the spice trade. The book centres eventually around the tiny Nutmeg growing island of Run, and the story of Nathaniel Courthope, an Englishman and employee of the East India Company who's bravery and patriotism will have far reaching effects.[return][return]This book, surprising in a history book, has a clever twist at the end that I really didn't see coming. The epilogue is quite interesting too.[return][return]This book sat on my shelf for ages, and eventually I got around to reading it and I am glad I did. It reads like a novel and has lots of stories of interesting events and colourful characters in it. The only downside is that it's a sleepy backwater of history far removed from today, but fascinating nonetheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nathaniel's Nutmeg.