♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Pushing the Limits

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: netgalley-e-book, favorites
Read from June 15 to 18, 2012

I ADORED this story!

Seventeen year-old Echo Emerson used to be part of the popular crowd. Two years ago things changed. Her parents divorced, her babysitter became her step-mother, and her older brother Aires died in combat. But this is not the event that changed everything for Echo. Two years ago, an event she can't remember resulted in her waking up in the hospital two-days later, with injuries up and down both her arms. Injuries that left her with ugly scars, and a restraining order in place against her mother. Because of the "event" Echo has been mandated by the State to attend therapy sessions. She has just been assigned a new therapist, one that she shares with Noah Hutchins, resident bad-boy with a reputation of one-night-stands.

Noah Hutchins has his own set of problems. Two and half years ago, he was on the honor-roll, competed in sports, and had the perfect family. Two loving parents and two-younger brothers. This was before his parents were killed in a house fire. Now Noah is separated from his little brothers. He's in one foster home, while they are in another. Noah's dream is to get his brothers back and reunite what's left of his family. He's had a string of bad luck with the homes he's been placed in. This is why he is now in court mandated therapy sessions, and on limited visitation with his younger brothers.

Echo and Noah's worlds collide when Echo is assigned to tutor Noah. These two don't immediately hit it off. At first they really don't care for each other but a common goal presents itself, and they unite. Noah and Echo didn't realize they had so much in common. What follows, is a common bond over their tragedies and a growing attraction! I was just gaga over this romance! There is heat and tension but also understanding and empathy. Noah and Echo start to truly care for one another. There were so many scenes of swoon! Weak-in-the-knees swoon! You know me, I have to share a little of at least one! Here you go:

* "Keep it up Echo. I'm all about foreplay." She laughed so loudly, she slapped a hand over her mouth, yet the giggles escaped. "You are so full of yourself. You think because girls swoon over you and let you into their pants on the first try that I'll follow suit. Think again. Besides, I have your number now. Every time you try to look all dark and dangerous, I'll picture you wearing a pink striped polo, collar up, and a pair of pleated chinos." No way. I stalked over to Echo, feeling like a tiger after its prey. She backed up against the wall, but I kept up my approach. I pressed against her, feeling each sensual curve. I wanted to touch every inch of her body. Her sweet smell intoxicated me. Her eyes kept her laughter, but her smile faded as she bit her lower lip. Damn, did she have any idea what she was doing? For a girl hell-bent on keeping me away, she sure did everything to turn me on.

There is a mystery behind Echo's injuries that is gradually revealed to her. What we find out is so heartbreaking and INFURIATING at the same time. BE WARNED, you are going to HATE Echo's parents and the self-centered step-mother, Ashley!! The father constantly put Ashley before Echo, even when she desperately needed him! I was overjoyed when Echo started standing up to her father and told him things he needed to hear! Don't even get me started on the mother. Still, I think the parents got off way too easy in my opinion! Trust me, you are going to shake a fist or two while reading this story because of them! Ms. McGarry did an excellent job writing these awful people.

Noah and his little brothers touched my heart! What they lost and its consequences was heart-wrenching. Noah loves his brothers. He yearns to give them the security his family once had. This is so difficult for someone his age. You can't help but empathize with his feelings of helplessness.

I must congratulate Katie McGarry on her wonderful ability to make me care so much for these characters. It's so important to me that I connect with the main characters in a story, and she really made that happen. I highly recommend this story! I thought it was an amazing debut for Ms. McGarry, and I'll be reading anything else she decides to write!

*Quote is taken from uncorrected ARC.

Thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin Teen for allowing me to read this amazing story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pushing the Limits.

06/15/2012
2.0% "Already hating the dad!! Ugh!! The stepmother sounds exactly like Echo describes her: The Wicked Witch of the West." 10 comments
06/16/2012
12.0% "In a lighting-fast move, he placed both hands on the brick wall, caging me with his body. He leaned toward me and my heart shifted into a gear I didn't know existed. His warm breath caressed my neck, melting my frozen skin." 3 comments
06/17/2012
66.0% "WORST FATHER EVER!!"

Jenn Another one to read before it's out? Woman..how do you do that? lol
Jealous once again over here. :o) I hope you are liking it.

Brandie Me too, Jenn...I can't wait to read this one! I hope it's good!

♥Rachel♥ Jenn, (view spoiler).

I've been seeing great reviews on this so I decided to read it sooner than I planned. I haven't started it yet. I hope it's good too, Brandie! :)

~Tina~ Noah!!!! <3
Happy reading babe!

message 5: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam You're reading this! I can't wait to hear what you think. I'm still thinking about this book constantly... :D

♥Rachel♥ I'm going to start in a few hours. Must finish writing a few reviews first. *sigh*

Jenn Rachel- that's good to know thank you! Maybe I'll have to give that a try :)
Good luck on writing all your reviews.

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Jenn! Are you done with My Life Next Door? I'll have to go check. :)

Jenn Yes, I just emailed you back. :o) It was a good read.

♥Rachel♥ Thanks my dear! :)

♥Rachel♥ Jenn wrote: "Rachel- that's good to know thank you! Maybe I'll have to give that a try :)
Good luck on writing all your reviews."

One down, another almost done, then one more to go! Yay!! :)

message 12: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn LOL! I think I need to see what books you are reviewing..you usually have good taste in books. Maybe you have something to review that i should read.

♥Rachel♥ I'm currently writing my Vincent Brothers review. I'm finished with North of Need. I need to work on Such a Rush tonight. (view spoiler)

message 14: by Jenn (last edited Jun 15, 2012 04:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn 10 more reviews needed for Sawyer and Lana's wedding on Amazon. No pressure. LOL 20 reviews needed for Beau and Ash's POV from the 2nd book too for amazon.

♥Rachel♥ Mine will be up tonight! :) We should tell the other ladies who wrote a review to post it on Amazon.

message 16: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn Maybe it should be added to my review for those who read them...help to give them a nudge. Maybe we should post this newest info to the Vincent boys folder in the group..I really just want to see Sawyer's wedding. :o)

♥Rachel♥ I know we'll see it. Once I post mine it'll only be 9 more to go. I saw you posted this info on the SMC page. Thanks! :)

Hilda OMG love your quote, Rachel! Swoon-worthy guy alert! ;) Definitely can't wait for your review! x)

♥Rachel♥ Hilda, you've got to read this, it's so good! They had it up on Netgalley if you wanted to request it.

Brandie YAY - I'm so happy to see 5 stars - can't wait to read it!!

♥Rachel♥ Brandie, this was SO good!! I can't wait to see what you think. :)

Brandie I'm buying it the day it comes out - I'm dying to read it!

Jennifer I can't wait to read this one....I already have preordered to my kindle. Can't wait til releases.

Hilda I got this from Netgalley few weeks ago and can't wait to start reading it! <3 Love the sparkling five stars! Looking forward to read your review, Rachel! x)

♥Rachel♥ I loved it ladies! I can't wait to see what you all think! :)

message 26: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Yay! So glad to see you loved it too! :)

♥Rachel♥ I saw that you cried while reading this too, Sam. I was a moving story. Echo's parents!!! OMG horrible!

I'll look out for your review. :)

Eunice Eep! I'll be waiting for your review too, Rachel! So glad you enjoyed it! :D

message 29: by ✿Alyssa✿ (new)

✿Alyssa✿ I can't wait until this book comes out! I've been dying to read it :)

♥Rachel♥ Alyssa, it's really good! I'm going to buy my very own copy when it comes out because I loved it so much. I hope you enjoy it when you get to it. :)

message 31: by ✿Alyssa✿ (last edited Jun 24, 2012 10:54AM) (new)

✿Alyssa✿ I'm so glad you loved it! :) I hope I feel the same way as you! ...great review, by the way!

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Alyssa. I'll look out for yours. :)

message 33: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna you make me wanna read it again. Nice! :)

♥Rachel♥ Oh you read this Anna? I'm off to read your review! :)

message 35: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I love that little scene! So glad you chose that one to share. It makes me want to read this book again! Amazing review, Rachel. I'm glad we both enjoyed this book (and Noah!) :D

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Sam! I loved Noah this story!!

~Tina~ Yay's! You liked it!! Such a terrific review! Noah is such an amazing character. I'm a little nervous about reading Beth's story next. She has A LOT of attitude and while I like that in my reads, there is a such a thing as too much, so it's making me nervous since I want to like it;)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Tina. Gosh, I just loved Noah but really Echo too. They were perfect for each other! I'm excited for Beth's story too. I hope her and Isaiah straighten up and get a good life. (view spoiler)

~Tina~ That's true, in the end she got better. I love the way McGarry writes, it feels so effortless:)

message 40: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine BEAUTIFUL REVIEW, Rachel! I am officially warned about Echo's parents, but even more, I'm warned that I'm probably going to fall head over heels for this book too! :') <3

♥Rachel♥ Awww thank you, my lovely Mimi! <3 I hope you do fall in love with it. (I think you will because you're a romantic like me) I'll be watching for your review. :)

Eunice I loved that scene, Rachel! Yaay!! So glad you loved this so much! I got a lot of swoons here too. I really don't like Echo's parents too, it was pretty hard to forgive them even though they'd work it out in the end. But well, I have to be happy for Echo! Haha! Can't wait to read the next book, hope it's as good as this or even better. Great review, Rachel! :D

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Eunice. Yes, those parents were quite horrible!! I'm do glad Echo finally (view spoiler). I can't wait for Beth's book either.

I briefly looked at Katie McGarry's website and I saw that she had deleted scenes on there. I'm going to check those out. :)

message 44: by Cindi (new)

Cindi This sounds awesome! I'm definitely putting it on my to be read pile.

Eunice Eep! I have to check those out too! *runs off to Katie's website*

Eunice There's nothing in there. :(

message 47: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Lovely review, Rachel! Can’t wait for this one! Love this—“Weak-in-the-knees swoon!” :) Yes, please! haha...

♥Rachel♥ @Cindi-It was sooo awesome. IMO. :) I hope you like it!!

@Eunice-Oh no! I just saw the tab & didn't check on it. Maybe something will be there when it's officially released.

@ Laura--thank you! You must read this, it's really good and yes, heehee, there was weak-in-the-knees type swoon!! :)

message 49: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary wow love your review rachel, i cant wait to read it

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Mary. I think you're going to love this one!! It was amazing. :)

« previous 1