06Jamieb's Reviews > The Secret Journal of Brett Colton

The Secret Journal of Brett Colton by Kay Lynn Mangum

U_50x66
Jan 08, 12

Read in December, 2011

Summary: This is a story about a teenage girl who is constantly listening to stories told of her older brother who died of cancer, her name is Kathy Colton. Her family never stops talking about the memories they have of Kathy's older brother, Brett. Kathy wouldn't mind as much if she could only remember him, but he died when she was only two years old. On Kathy's sixteenth birthday she is surprised to find a note and a secret journal Brett wrote just for her. She soon finds out how much she truly meant to him. Also, at her school she is forced to tutor a boy who is extremely similar to Brett, his name is Jason. Kathy later finds out he is a mormon boy, which for some reason is a fact her mother,and her family,cannot forgive.

Why I gave it five stars: The reason I gave it five stars is because I thought it was very interesting and it held my attention the whole time I was reading it. I never got bored and I rarely put this book down. Also, I think it has a lot of interesting topics inside of it, such as; how a family deals with losing a member of that family, the study of different religions, and holding on to what you believe in.

Who I would recommend this book to? Why?: I would recommend this book to anyone who has suffered this kind of loss, or someone who is interested in the LDS church. The reason why is because it helps you understand how hard it is to lose a family member and how you get through it. Also, it talks a lot about the LDS church and what it meant to Brett as he was dying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Journal of Brett Colton.