Kyle Kerns's Reviews > Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston

Jan 08, 2012

bookshelves: 2006, own
Read on September 01, 2006 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I thought that I had heard all about Aron Ralston's story immediately after his accident, as the media coverage was pretty constant afterward. However, reading the book gave me much more insight into the accident and Aron himself. While I became annoyed that it seemed as though he consistently does "stupid" things that put his life in danger and it was hard for me to move past the fact that he was out hiking alone without telling anyone where he was, I understand some of why he does what he does and understand that sometimes things just happen. That's not what I took from this book, though. Instead, I took the deep passion for life that this guy has and the remarkable ability to take such a horrible "accident" and turn it into a life-affirming incident. Aron definitely seems like one of those cocky, nothing-can-hurt-me guys, and it came out during the book. For me, though, it didn't overshadow the incredible story and the unexpectedly-good writing. He also adds a lot of humor to the experience, and I have to respect that. The book was very technical at times, but it wasn't so much so that it detracted from my reading; instead, it made me want to go camping and hiking (of course making sure someone knows where I'll be), though not with the same result as Aron!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between a Rock and a Hard Place.