Kyle Kerns's Reviews > John Major: The Autobiography

John Major by John Major

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: 2006, own
Read from January 01 to February 01, 2006 — I own a copy

I was lucky enough to be in London when I was reading this book. The only problem was that I had been back in the States for 3 weeks before I finished it!!! There was an extraordinary amount of detail that just didn’t interest me (i.e., Major went into an inordinate amount of detail when he talked about Cabinet reshuffles, giving me the names and personal history of every practically every cabinet member.). He also often got into too much details when talking about other political issues: the monetary unit, economics in general, the Balkans, world summits, etc. My mind too often just tuned it out. While the book helped me to learn a lot about Major’s premiership and the landscape of British politics, I was left wondering a lot about the British political system. I know that Major assumed his audience would know this system, but I had many moments where I was in utter confusion. Members of parliament can be elected to represent areas in which they don’t live? The Prime Minister determines when to call an election, and the only requirement is that it be no more than 5 years after a previous one? There is no time between an election and the PM taking over, so a new PM is elected and takes over the next day? As I was reading this, I was really hoping to be able to investigate all of these issues, but that made me start wondering how much of our American system I also don’t understand…I’m sure there is a lot. Yet, I think most Britons understand ours better than I understand theirs. So, I have work to do.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read John Major.