02RachaelF's Reviews > The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman

The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman by Louise Plummer

F_50x66
Jan 08, 12

Read in December, 2011

I really enjoyed this book. I felt like it had a really good theme and it kept me interested the whole time. Of course, I’m a teenage girl, and this book is as “chick flick” as it can get! However, it's really well written. It frequently deals with serious subjects or issues, but these issues are always resolved with the characters having learned something about both life and themselves. Which I thought was nice. And, fiction almost always ends on a hopeful, good note; not necessarily a happily-ever-after ending… but definitely hopeful. The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman meets all of these criteria, and is a dang good read as well! What happens is, a high-school senior (Kate Bjorkman) doesn't like romance novels. She thinks they are "disgusting, with kisses that last three paragraphs and make you want to put your finger down your throat to induce projectile vomiting." But she has her own little romantic story to tell, a real romance story. Something wonderful that happened to her last Christmas, so she sits down with a copy of The Romance Writer's Phrase Book to try and draft something that will be a little more like "real life." This book is both hilarious and touching. Kate's got the perfect set of characters to work with. There's the hero, Richard, who is her older brother’s best friend (convenient right?). Richard is kind, charming, and good-looking. So in other words, the perfect guy. Kate's had a crush on him for FOREVER! But sadly, she hasn't seen him lately. She sees him for the first time again during the Christmas season and instantly falls for him again. The best thing about this book is way she made the characters. Each character has a specific stereotype. Not one of them seems the least bit cardboardy. Kate is a very appealing heroine. She's smart, she's confident, and she's even comfortable with her non-romance-novel appearance. This is how she describes herself: “I know I mentioned my height-six feet-but did I mention the glasses? It's a rhetorical question. I didn't mention them on purpose, because I wanted you to imagine me looking like Cindy Crawford. I have worn glasses since I was three years old, and even when I have cool Giorgio Armani frames, my eyes are magnified about three times their size with these plate glass lenses.I know this is a disappointment in someone who is supposed to be the romantic heroine of this book, but unless you're one of those really shallow readers, you'll continue.” One of the best things about Kate is that she knows herself...and she's really proud of herself and who she has become. She's unwilling to change to attract her so called “hero”. The other characters are just as well appealing, and they aren't exactly what you might think them to be. This is fun while you’re reading this book! Kate observes both her parents' and her brother's relationships, and the conclusions she draws helps her to make her own decisions about what a love relationship should be. I really liked these people. They seemed so down-to-earth and normal, but not in the least way boring or predictable. I had such a great time reading this book. Louise Plummer has written several teenage books that I have liked, but this one is my favorite. For those of you who have yet to try these types of books, I would strongly recommend that you give it a chance. The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman would be an excellent place to start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman.