Tracy's Reviews > Mr. Monk on Patrol

Mr. Monk on Patrol by Lee Goldberg

Aug 03, 14

bookshelves: tv-fiction, mystery-suspense, boy-man-masculine-tales, cop-detective-tales, crime-tales, friendship, series-books, utter-crap, uncompelling-or-underwhelming-books, girl-woman-feminine-tales, disliked-books-i-dnf
Recommended for: Absolutely no one! Read at your own risk!
Read from July 25 to 29, 2014

** spoiler alert ** Well, what an utter disappointment this book was! Honestly, the main reason I wanted to read this was to maybe see a little more of Randy Disher, a character I liked, in spite of his bumbling quirks, from "Monk" the TV show, and maybe even see him in some dangerous situations, which could have made the plot briefly more exciting.

I read 70 pages, which were the dry, boring standard fare of all Lee Goldberg "Monk" novels, just the basics with absolutely no flourish to the writing or even to what the characters are saying. The basic summary up to this point is that Disher, the new police chief of Summit, NJ, needs help running his small town's police force, and calls in Monk and Natalie. Randy's police force has only 6 police officers, including himself, and due to a huge political scandal, is currently acting as Summit's mayor. He assigns Monk and Natalie a patrol car, which they take in order to investigate the last house hit in a string of burglaries.

So, it all sounds okay up to this point, right? I was fine reading it up until the moment Monk starts freaking out in the passenger seat because they've just driven by a store that is called "Poop". Honestly, I, too, was grossed out just by the name; I actually resisted watching "Monk" for years because I'm grossed out by things that Monk seems to be grossed out by. Anyway, the story went literally (excuse my language) to shit after that. I made it through an inquiry of Natalie's and Monk's into this store, which actually sells fossilized poo for outrageous amounts of money, but decided to skim until I no longer found mention of poo or of the proprietor, Ellen Morse or Norse, whom Monk whines about constantly to Disher and demands he arrest her.

I was sickened and annoyed and disappointed. This is one of these situations where I feel duped for spending any amount of money on this book—bargain bin at Barnes & Noble is still money I could have used for something else—because it was actual, literal CRAP! Read at your own risk!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Monk on Patrol.

07/25 marked as: currently-reading
07/28 page 100
34.0% "I skipped a huge chunk of this book because for about 20 pages or so the author went on and on and on and on about literal shit and I was so disgusted I considered not continuing reading the book."
07/28 page 128
44.0% "Skipped another big chunk. Disappointed by how exceptionally boring this book is."
07/29 page 159
55.0% "This book is crap. Taken to skimming the rest."
08/01 marked as: read