Gmr's Reviews > Lifting the Wheel of Karma

Lifting the Wheel of Karma by Paul H. Magid

Jan 18, 2012

liked it
Recommended to Gmr by: Tribute Books Blog Tours
Recommended for: teen readers through adults
Read from January 08 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

From page one, it is apparant that the author has a particular fondness for nature. Rolling hills, running streams, wild horses...the works; all are beautifully detailed as we explore Joseph's hometown in Montana. When we meet this young man, we find a troubled soul trying to make sense of the oddities that life has thrown his way...his means of escape, karate. To say he was a black belt would lower his standings...that's how good he was; of course, that's what nightmares about fighting for one's life will do sometimes, push you in real life to be able to handle everything and anything. Unfortunately for Joseph, there is one "anything" he couldn't see coming which leads to a chance meeting, a terrible accident, and the beginning of a journey that would last a lifetime.

Admittedly his meeting with Lahiri and the accident that followed, threw me for a loop. His desire to warn him about the impending failure was admirable....but I was left wondering, why? Who was he to him? Why would he show up out of the blue JUST to warn him? Then we have the fated meeting with a GIANT deer.... I couldn't see where the animal fit into the puzzle being revealed. Was it a means to meet an end? Sort of. It's briefly touched on later in the story (thank goodness) and the explanation given makes sense even if it's more philisopical.

Once Joseph is confined to a wheelchair, his spirits are dampered....understandably. It takes an unexpected news broadcast about an unusual form of "treatment" to break him from his cycle of self-pity and restore his hope. Hope is a powerful thing; it can move mountains when necessary and in this case, send a lost soul across the globe in search of a new future. His experiences with the sage are intended to heal his body yes, but more importantly his spirit for when balance is achieved in both areas, the soul can be at peace.

There were only two drawbacks I experienced during my reading adventure; both small, both connected but both mentionable. First, I didn't always connect with Joseph and his family. It could be the confusion that was abundant in his life from the nightmares to the fight matches but I wasn't always able to stand beside him in his adventure. That being said, the second occurance was a little outburst around page 102. It's so unlike the Joseph we came to know, so out of character that it felt off. I understand he's in a foreign land seeking out an unsual means to conquer his limitations but it simply felt like another person altogether.

A strange and at times complex journey, but one that was worth taking. It's not a story to be rushed through despite the short length of the novel. It's a story to be read, felt, and pondered. Does he find enlightenment? Does he ever walk again? Yes and yes but those simple answers will not give you the same satisfaction as following Joseph's journey will. Who knows? You may even discover something about yourself along the way.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lifting the Wheel of Karma.

01/09/2012 page 30
16.0% "The author's love of the natural beauty of Montana is apparant but thus far, that's the "meat" of the story....waiting to see what unfolds...."
01/12/2012 page 128
67.0% "I get why Joseph wanted to travel so far away...hope is a powerful thing....but I'm still not seeing howing it all factors together..."
01/12/2012 page 192
100.0% "Done. A strange and at times complex journey but one that was worth taking. Review to come..."