Mitch's Reviews > To Reign in Hell

To Reign in Hell by Steven Brust

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, kill-yourself-first

No stars for this one.

Occasionally I run across a book I dislike so much it goes into the recycled paper bin instead of to a friend or to a secondhand bookstore.

This is odd, because I've really enjoyed several other books by Stephen Brust. Additionally, I loved "Lord of Light" by Roger Zelazny, who wrote an enthusiastic review of this book and whose work it occasionally resembles.

Right in the face of all that, 'To Reign in Hell' was awesomely awful.

So...very...much of it was consumed with characters running around looking for one another. This plot wandering was incredibly boring. It was repeated over and over because Steven wouldn't let his characters make decisions on pressing issues, let alone actually DO anything for at least a hundred horrible pages.

Add to this his deliberate distortion of characters. Once again, we see Satan, Lucifer and Beelzebub painted as heroes, while God (Yahweh) and Jesus (Yeshuah) are evil. Yahweh's character is weak, easily tricked, deceitful, full of pride, hypocritical, and not nearly sorry enough that he 'has to' order others to their deaths.

Look as you will, you won't find a single pure, good character in Steven's Heaven.

Everyone there resemble Greek gods or today's superheroes; each has some limited superpower and human character flaws- in other words, they are just souped up people, wandering around without a great storyline.

This book badly needs a Redeemer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Reign in Hell.