Bookaholics's Reviews > All That Bleeds

Jan 08, 12

All That Bleeds by Kimberly Frost
Paranormal Romance Jan 3rd, 2012
4 ½ stars

All That Bleeds is a new paranormal series by Kimberly Frost. It is a bit of a departure from the more lighthearted books in her Southern Witch series. That is because it is more serious and complex. However, it still retains the author’s delightfully entertaining writing style that charms you with her sympathetic characters. This series centers on females Muses who work to inspire others for the greater good of mankind. All the Muses are competing to be the lead Muse and win the Wreath which helps focus their powers.

In this story, Alissa North is a Muse and the last of her line. After her mother’s suspicious suicide, her father lost her mother’s muse power and fell into madness. As she struggles to help her father and win the Wreath which she hopes to help her father and discover the real reason behind her mother’s mysterious death, she finds herself kidnapped! Luckily the dangerous and lethally handsome vampire enforcer Merrick (who she has secretly been communicating with) is enamored with her and secretly keeps watch over her. As a result, he saves her. Both are strongly attracted to each other but their relationship is forbidden if Alissa wants to win the Wreath. Torn by her need for justice and her growing affection for a man who will stop at nothing to protect her, Alissa must discover what is most important.

This is a fabulous new series that drew me in from the first page. I can’t wait for the next book which features Alissa’s muse friend Cerise who I suspect will have a very interesting romance with a fallen angel! What attracted me to this first book is how well defined and immersing the world the author has created. Muses are highly regarded and it was fascinating to read all the politics, betrayals and backstabbing that occur behind the pretty façade that they show to the ‘normal’ public. I also liked the dangerous edge brought from the mystery behind the person/s who wish to discredit Alissa and bring her downfall. Plus the true reasons behind the death of Alissa’s mother are very unexpected if anticlimactic. The growing love between Alissa and Merrick was very powerful to read as both characters are misunderstood but together find understanding and comfort with each other that they could not find with anyone else. Their forbidden love was suspenseful to read as I wanted them to overcome their obstacles and find happiness together.

Engaging characters, a star-crossed love and a lethally handsome hero make for spectacular reading.

Reviewed by Steph from Bookaholics Book Club
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All That Bleeds.