Sandra Visser's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman

May 19, 14

Read in October, 2011

Any reader who has a real interest in fantasy and has been reading the genre for a while will have come across The Sandman and will have heard how lauded it is. Unfortunately when something has received this much hype, your expectations are too high and you're bound to be disappointed by the work, and this is the case with this first volume of comics. The artwork is messy and looks amateurish, with characters constantly changing from page to page and becoming unrecognisable. The plot is familiar and not exactily earth-shattering and the Sandman himself is a bit of a cypher you don't really get to know.

That said, I did enjoy Gaiman's take on figures such as the Sandman, Death and Lucifer, although the look of many of the demons in hell borders on the ridiculous and not exactly scary. It did feel a bit tedious at times and at other moments things were resolved too quickly. And the attempts to bring other DC characters in jar with the Sandman and his world. But I am intrigued and by Gaiman's own admission this collection is a bit scattershot, so I'm willing to give it another try.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 1.