Thomasin's Reviews > Loitering With Intent

Loitering With Intent by Muriel Spark

May 20, 12

bookshelves: fiction, novel
Read from May 09 to 18, 2012

I was initially uncertain of the narrator--trustworthy or not?--but came to appreciate her story. And, as always, Spark uses dry humor to describe otherwise perilous and unhappy circumstances.

Quotes I rather enjoyed:

"'I talk very little,' I said, which was true, although I listened a lot because I had a novel, my first, in larva."

"...what I found common to the members of Sir Quentin's remaining group was their weakness of character. To my mind this is no more to be despised than is physical weakness. We are no all born heros and athletes. At the same time it is elementary wisdom always to fear weaknesses, including one's own; the reactions of teh weak, when touched off, can be horrible and sudden."

"In those days, among the people I mixed with, one had friends almost by predestination. There they were, like your winter coat and your meagre luggage. You didn't think of discarding them just because you didn't altogether like them."

And there was also a great vocab word: orgulous. It means proud/haughty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loitering With Intent.