Alex 's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Quandary Phase

Jan 13, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: science-fiction, radio-drama
Read in January, 2012

I always remembered So Long and Thanks For All the Fish as being the weakest of the trilogy, but I didn't remember it being this weak. I think that a lot of the problem with this adaptation by Dirk Maggs was in reducing the episode count from 6 to 4 which doesn't allow time for the story to breathe. But then, is there really a story anyway? Is there even a central concept or idea to this or is it just an attempt to find something for the Hitchhiker's characters to do, throwing in a Hitchhiker's concept like "the search for God's final message" which just doesn't work in nearly as interesting ways as the original search for meaning in the universe did.

I'd hesitate to call this a waste of time but it shows a creative lull in Adams writing and it's also a bad, uncommitted adaptation of the material which seeks neither to understand or expand upon it. it's still sporadically funny, of course. The Rain God is very amusing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.