Karen White's Reviews > Deep Down True

Deep Down True by Juliette Fay

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: just-for-fun
Read from January 08 to 13, 2012

This was a book that grew on me. Difficult start - wasn't drawn in at first. The main character, divorced mom Dana of Morgan (girl tween) and Grady (boy 7 yro ) annoyed the heck out of me. Just wanted her to get a spine! Then...she did. Slowly but surely she learned to stand up for herself, whether battling it out in the neighborhood cliques (moms and their daughters) or with her ex-husband, or her sister (who's daughter Alder has come to live with her) or the other men in her life, bit by bit Dana learns to trust her own good instincts. At first I hated her parenting, SO over the top hovering. But as she relaxed, I grew to appreciate the real pleasure she gets from taking care of people. There are some fun small characters in the book: Alder's new friend Jet and Marie the hygienist were my favorites.

Serious issues are dealt with along the way (and I found myself thankful that my 6th grader has avoided some of the ones Morgan wrestles with) but overall this was a feel good relationship read, with enough quirks and good writing to recommend it pretty highly.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Down True.