Michelle Kelly's Reviews > The Hazards of Hunting a Duke

The Hazards of Hunting a Duke by Julia London

Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012-read, historical
Read from January 08 to 09, 2012

Just didn't grab me as most historicals do.

Did you notice the title of the book? It's called The Hazards of Hunting a Duke, yet the male protagonist was a Duke's son, a Marquis named, Jared. I thought that was very odd. Why title a book about a Duke when the character wasn't a Duke???

Anyhow moving on...that was not my only issue with The Hazards of Hunting a Duke. There was also a lack of originality missing from the story.

Normally I love a story where the protagonists gets married near the beginning or in the middle of a book as The Hazards of Hunting a Duke did. They are my favourite coupling stories by a long shot. Especially in historicals because I love reading about why they married and the various circumstances that lead to an early wedlock. I also love to read about the couple falling in love with each other as they start out their married lives. But The Hazards of Hunting a Duke put me off just a bit. There were a few story plots thrown in the story that I thought were unnecessary as it didn't really provide any growth to the story as I kept waiting for something more to happen. It felt like Jared's former mistress was forced to be a villain and I tired of her quickly. The same reaction to Jared's father, the Duke. It was almost as if the author couldn't decide if he was to be a wicked man or if he was to be forgiven.

I did enjoy Ava's maid Sally as she added some relief from the couple's tension and she was a great scene stealer. I'd actually love to read a book about her!

I have to say that I did really enjoy the actual writing as everything was very well described and emotions were well communicated. The Hazards of Hunting a Duke did retain my attention and there is more story to be told here in a book 2. I will just not be in a rush to read it but perhaps check it out of the library some time.

Teasers: great idea for free labour, wrong way to church, who is Mr. Percy?, harem dance

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hazards of Hunting a Duke.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀angela (new)

❀angela Well, if Jared is the eldest son, that means that eventually, when his father dies, then he would become duke...

message 2: by Khanh (new)

Khanh @the duke title: I remember Julia Quinn once posted on her FB an advice for one of her author-friends, books with "Duke" in the title sell better significantly :D

message 3: by ❀angela (new)

❀angela Khanh wrote: "@the duke title: I remember Julia Quinn once posted on her FB an advice for one of her author-friends, books with "Duke" in the title sell better significantly :D"

lol, I think that's true. personally, I'm more inclined to read something if the hero is duke. xD

Michelle Kelly Interesting view on why she named the book with a Duke in it. I dont personally agree though. I found it deceptive.
I am a big fan of Lisa Kleypas and many many of her historicals are not about aristocracy at all. AND I LOVE them. So I dont really agree that the word "Duke" is more inclined to make me buy. But thanks for the comments and sharing. I appreciate it.