Megan's Reviews > Dearly Devoted Dexter

Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: mystery, nook-book, not-mine-library
Read from January 23 to 25, 2012

So it seems that Dear Dark Dexter has become poorly written, zero character development Dexter. Even worse, he is surrounded by static characters, cops who are strangely uninterested in doing police work, and people who actually form a conga line at at bachelor party. Really, who does that???

I think that in the hands of a better writer this story could be so much better. (After all, the show is filled with an amazing cast of characters.) Unfortunately, in the books author Jeff Lindsay focuses on portraying Dexter as an emotionless and cold blooded predator. As is the case with Darkly Dreaming Dexter, this is written in the first person. The reader follows Dexter's inner monologue and occasionally gets to see him acting either stoic or witty in horrific situations. This technique would work if the supporting cast was written a little better. But the rest of the characters are written to have even less personality than emotionally and psychologically fucked up Dexter. And this hurts the novel a great deal.

Considering how detached Dexter is from the world around him, and how little emotion he displays towards the people in his life, this story would have worked so much better as a short, or a novella. Even though I love reading Dexter's inner-monologue, it gets to be a bit boring after awhile. This is a book I only recommend to hard core fans of the show. (And even then I recommend it cautiously.) As a lover of books, it makes me beyond sad to find myself preferring a television show to the books the show is based on. But based on the writing here, I can't help but wonder how many of these books would have been published if the show had never been made?
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dearly Devoted Dexter.