StoryTellerShannon's Reviews > Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned

Y by Brian K. Vaughan

Apr 05, 13

bookshelves: need-reviewing, graphic-novels
Read in January, 2012

What if all the men, except one young man and his male monkey pet, were wiped out all over the world and nobody knew why exactly? That's the setup for volume one of this series that takes a look at gender issues and progressive science versus a natural order of things. I like that the explanation for the plague is not known and there are several possibilities.

There's a fair amount of mischievous style humor in the first volume. For instance, women commemorate the dead man at an obvious phallic symbol a la The Washington Monument. Extremists women take on the role of the ancient Amazons and tear off one breast and take to believing Mother Earth meant to eradicate the males. Hardcore GOPs may take offense when Republican wives of dead senators show up with guns, arguing they should have a voice in the new government.

The main character, Yorick, is a putz and sometimes clueless but believable enough even though some might argue he is a passive character. The super model turned corpse collector who just got her implants is an obvious jab at how the fashion industry and of course female looks are intertwined with male desires. Overall, I'd say this is a very good start but if you're the nitpicking type you may not enjoy it as much because everything hasn't been explained.

A good starting read, by the way, for people new to comics/graphic novels.

The series has received 5 prestigious Eisner Awards. Hollywood has been trying to make this into a movie since 2007. Some say this series saved Vertigo Comics from financial problems.

CHARACTERS/DIALOGUE: B plus; STORY/PLOTTING: B plus to A minus; ARTWORK: B plus; THEMES: B to B plus; WHEN READ: early January 2012; OVERALL GRADE: B plus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Y.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tilly (new)

Tilly Slaton Super model turned corpse collector hehe ... Interesting.

StoryTellerShannon Too true. Heh.

message 3: by Nate (new)

Nate I liked this one too.

message 4: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Awesome review! I've actually read all of Book 1 of this comic and it's great so far!

StoryTellerShannon Thanks. I'll do some reviews of the others using some of the info from this one. Right now I'm working on "52" and the whole "Final Crisis" volumes.

message 6: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell StoryTellerShannon wrote: "Thanks. I'll do some reviews of the others using some of the info from this one. Right now I'm working on "52" and the whole "Final Crisis" volumes."

How's the New 52 and Final Crisis?

StoryTellerShannon FC just went up on review seconds ago. Check it out. B plus to A minus.

message 8: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell StoryTellerShannon wrote: "FC just went up on review seconds ago. Check it out. B plus to A minus.

52 is going to be about a B plus on the picky Shannon Scale. I am on the last of four volumes."

Alright! I'll go check out your Final Crisis review!