Alicia's Reviews > Jessica Rules the Dark Side

Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: magical, mystery, romance, series
Read from January 11 to 14, 2012

I was disappointed that it wasn't fabulous from the start, lets put that out there. I expected Jessica's humor and wit and the awesomeness of Romania to meet but instead Jessica is falling apart. She's lonely and unmotivated to be a strong and powerful princess that Lucius knows she can and will be. But about 100 pages into it the heat is kicked up a notch when Lucius is put on trial and Antanasia aka Jessica must rule AND find out who killed Claudiu using her husband's "brother" as her trusted advisor when she doesn't know who to trust.

Once the trial was underway, I enjoyed learning about her development from a weak feeble-minded princess to a powerful queen in-the-making, while Lucius was absent. The images of Jessica trekking to the masoleum of her parents and the opposing family, the creepy walks through the secret passageways of the castle, learning to use a stake, were all juicy, though again, I wished the writing was a bit stronger (as it was in the first). Her partnership with Rainero was exciting as he began to emerge as a powerful leader himself after hiding so long on the beaches surfing when in fact he had been equally as deadly and ambitious as Lucius. His willingness to sacrifice his life and image for help solidfy the reign of Lucius and Antanasia is commendable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jessica Rules the Dark Side.