Raafia's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

bookshelves: fantasy-and-adventure, all-time-favourites
Read on February 05, 2012

Quotes Raafia Liked

Laini Taylor
“Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.”

Laini Taylor
“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.”

Laini Taylor
“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love.

It did not end well.”

Laini Taylor
“I don't know many rules to live by,' he'd said. 'But here's one. It's simple. Don't put anything unnecessary into yourself. No poisons or chemicals, no fumes or smoke or alcohol, no sharp objects, no inessential needles--drug or tattoo--and...no inessential penises either.'

'Inessential penises?' Karou had repeated, delighted with the phrase in spite of her grief. 'Is there any such thing as an essential one?'

'When an essential one comes along, you'll know,' he'd replied.”

Laini Taylor
“It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the townsfolk cry 'Monster!' and looked behind him.”

Laini Taylor
“Hey! My body may be small, but my soul is large. It’s why I wear platforms. So I can reach the top of my soul.”

Laini Taylor
“It's not like there's a law against flying."

"Yes there is. The law of gravity.”

Laini Taylor
“Once upon a time, an angel lay dying in the mist.

And a devil knelt over him and smiled.”

Laini Taylor
“Have you ever asked yourself, do monsters make war, or does war make monsters?”

04/26/2014 marked as: currently-reading