Laura Rittenhouse's Reviews > The Hunt Club

The Hunt Club by John Lescroart

Jan 08, 2012

bookshelves: mystery
Read in January, 2012

I liked this book. It's a well-paced mystery but it isn't a slave to that pace. It gives a lot of really good background on the protagonist before the core drama even starts. This is done without distracting the reader, because the background is interesting in itself. The fact that this is billed as the first in a series, probably explains the extra time spent on fleshing out the hero.

All the characters are very believable and totally realistic. What I appreciated was that the hero isn't the only guy with smarts, the only one with drive, and the only human with a soul in this story. There are a good number of side characters who also have enough depth to be interesting and enough qualities to be likeable. The characters populating the book are not all black or all white, most are complex enough to make you wonder how "good" or "bad" they really are.

The story is well told and entertaining, just enough dead-ends and false clues to keep you wondering who did it. Well written and enjoyable. But I just can't bring myself to give it more than 4 stars because I save my 5 stars for books that stay with you and that make you think about yourself, the society around you, the human condition, something!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt Club.