Siby's Reviews > The Lexus and the Olive Tree

The Lexus and the Olive Tree by Thomas L. Friedman

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction

I didn't like this book at all...infact one of those rare books that I decided to leave without finishing.
The biggest problem with the book is the condescending tone of the author; rather than treating his readers as mature well informed adults, he writes as if his reader base is made up of school going kids. The analogies that he uses insults the intelligence of his readers.
There is too much name dropping, like Manmohan Singh said this to me, or the Shah of Iran told me that; Friedman seems to like thinking that all the world leaders are cozy with him and confiding their innermost thoughts to him, rather than them granting him interviews, one of the many reporters that they would be granting interviews to.
The other thing that put me off is Friedman's rabid free market support; I had expected this book to a balanced and objective analysis of globalization and its impact, but it reads like propaganda for open market capitalization. All closed market economies and their administrators are projected as idiots and no honest intent has been shown to understand how globalization is impacting the less developed economies and why they are hesitant to open up.
This looked like a one sided point of view and I did not enjoy it at all.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lexus and the Olive Tree.