Marsha's Reviews > Deliverance

F_50x66
May 17, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-fantasy
Read from May 10 to 12, 2012

I was hoping the problem I had with the previous installment was just an aberration but it doesn't seem the case. The writing just isn't that strong. There is a strange emotional disconnect as if this were written by an observer of emotion rather than someone with much experience with it. Maliha doesn't really seem to feel anything deeply and, the way this is written, her thoughts and her emotions seem superficial and drift in and out.

Even if I accept the possibility that Maliha can love multiple guys at once, she doesn't seem to hold the concept of what life would be like with any one of them in her mind at any given time. While she's contemplating finding a means to be with Lucius she seems to forget that she claims to love Jake. If she accomplishes the one, what happens with the other? And where does falling in love fit into her grand scheme anyway? Her love life is not incidental. She actually seems to make choices of who she's going to love at any given time.The men in her life seem interchangeable and this fact ultimately begs the question of why does she need to be in love or have a relationship at this point in time? Doesn't her mission supersede all that?

The author just hasn't made a case that love is necessary in Maliha's life, that she needs to be with any particular person so badly that she simply MUST fit romance into what is an incredible challenge with the potential to change the world. This is the element that weakens the plot for me and makes Maliha unlikeable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deliverance.