Julie's Reviews > Simply Irresistible

Feb 22, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012, favorites
Read in January, 2012

Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Those of you who follow my blog may have noticed that I read mostly Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance titles. I love love love them but after reading quite a few in a row, I sometimes start to feel a little ‘heavy’ because let’s face it, titles in these genres tend to be intense in their stories, involved in their characters and dark in their themes. That is why I sometimes look for a contemporary romance book to read. Contemporary romances tend to snap me right out of my UF/PNR gloom – as long as they have all the elements I adore in a modern romance story. For a contemporary romance to really work for me it must be fun, funny, sweet, sexy and cute.

Simply Irresistible is the first book in Jill Shalvis’ Lucky Harbor series and it is just darling and fits each one of my criteria. I won’t bother going into what the book is about since the Goodreads summary pretty much says it all so let’s just get right into the characters.

Maddie I loved. Quirky, smart, funny… there were times I saw me in her. And not in her most flattering moments. *g* I could go on and on about everything I liked about her but I think it would take up the entire review. How she meets Jax was so funny and suited her perfectly. That right there was the hint of things to come from her and from this story. Really great.

Jax I loved. (Do you see a theme building here?) Used to be a lawyer and now is the handy-man/town hunk/overall great guy. To me he was the perfect contemporary romance hero. He was sweet and smart and funny and… Apparently this is another character I could just go on and on about, so I’ll stop here. Jax and Maddie make an amazing couple though. They are both warm and giving and loving people and they really deserve each other.

Maddie’s sisters, Tara and Chloe, were in this book just enough to make me want to know more about them. I didn’t love reading their disagreements but they were all part of their characters and it made them all coming together to reach their common goal all the more sweet. Actually, thinking back, I really want to know more about them. There is one thing in particular about Tara and this guy in town and all this animosity between them and… I am pretty sure I have that all figured out but I am going to have to wait until the next book to know for sure because The Sweetest Thing is Tara’s book.

Jax’s friends, Ford and Sawyer, were fun too. You didn’t see much of Sawyer but we did see quite a bit of Ford and he was a hoot!

I loved this book. Everything about it was just charming and lovely and sweet and sexy…and yeah. It was a wonderful contemporary romance read and it absolutely helped clear my head and my heart from the guns and paranormal creatures and world-changing situations that fuddle my head sometimes and replaced it with sunshine and rainbows. The story was good and the pacing was good too. Honestly, I can’t think of anything truly horrible about this book. It made me want to keep reading, it made me smile, it made me giggle and it made me swoon. The setting was great, the story was great, Maddie was great, Jax was great, the supporting characters were great…just great great great. I will definitely be recommending this one to others with gusto and will be devouring the other books in the series as soon as I have the chance.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simply Irresistible.

Michelle Kelly Yeah! Cant wait to read your review.

Michelle Kelly Just wait till Ford's book. He is my fav.

Julie MichelleKCanada wrote: "Just wait till Ford's book. He is my fav."

I think he's the baby's daddy but shh...don't tell. ;) I'm going to read that one eventually but for sure. I already love the dynamic between Ford and Tara.

~V~ I don't typically read contemporary romance but i LOVED these!! :)

Julie ~V~ wrote: "I don't typically read contemporary romance but i LOVED these!! :)"

That's really good to know. Have you read Julie James? I find they are the same sort of adorable-yummy.

message 6: by ~V~ (last edited Jan 08, 2012 03:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~V~ No..i haven't..this genre is sort of new to me so i've only read a few...pretty much stuck to PNRs or romantic suspense thinking that it was the action and suspense that i wanted in my books..lately i'm discovering that i DO enjoy that stuff in my books but ultimately it's the romance that i REALLY want!..when the yummy/smexiness factor is in there also..all the better!! ;) I'll def. have to check her books out though!

Julie ~V~ wrote: "No..i haven't..this genre is sort of new to me..pretty much stuck to PNRs or romantic suspense..lately i'm discovering that it's the romance that i REALLY want in my books..when the yummy/smexines..."

Okay, then you HAVE to read Julie James and you HAVE to read Catch a Mate by Gena Showalter. My favorite contemporary romance books. I tend to stick to UF and PNR but once in a while a nice sexy contemporary is just what I need to lighten the mood a bit. :)

Mithrendiel Thanks for the review, Julie. I was in the mood for a light, romantic book and this one sounds perfect. I just purchased it. :)

Julie Mithrendiel wrote: "Thanks for the review, Julie. I was in the mood for a light, romantic book and this one sounds perfect. I just purchased it. :)"

It is a light romantic book! So great. I hope you love it like I did :)

♡Karlyn P♡ Loved your review. I love this series, and the last one was the best