Primadonna's Reviews > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

Jan 08, 2012

did not like it
Read in January, 2012

I can't relate to this book. Perhaps because I was not raised by tiger parents. I am definitely not a tiger mom myself. My parents raised me to be independent and happy, and those were enough. I did have musical lessons when I was a child but my parents never, and here I repeat, never, forced me to practice hours daily and they never threatened me with anything. They sure never asked me to practice for hours without bathroom/meal breaks. Yikes!

I think this book is pretentious. And yes, it's all about me-me-me. I can't help but thinking that Chua is a name-dropper. (She mentioned a lot of famous people here. Did you know that her husband used to go to Juilliard and was acquainted with Val Kilmer? No? *gasp* How could you not know?)

She brags a lot. She admits so in the book. Even so... it's kinda repetitive. Yeah, I know you are beautiful and talented and smart and driven and rich and lucky and all that. You say it all the time, dear writer, in oh so many ways.

I guess Chua also has this desire to be a superwoman. She wants to juggle and excel in everything. It's as if most things aren't good enough for her.

She writes well. Yet I don't like this book at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Andrikus I was planning on reading the book... Now you kinda ruined it for me. Thanks!

Lol jk

Primadonna How so? Only yourself can ruin your own reading experience, methink.