Tamara's Reviews > Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

Jun 29, 08

bookshelves: teen, fiction
Read in June, 2008

Though not the greatest book ever, this book definitely made me think.

It made me consider the way memories define who you are, and that, without them, you would be empty.

It also made me think a lot about the responsibility we feel to be emotionally connected with people the way they are emotionally connected to us. When Naomi loses her memory, everyone assumes that though her memories were lost, her feelings remained. But how can you love someone you don't know.

It reminded me that every relationship has this same fatal flaw. Reciprocity is a scary assumption, a lie that we hope to believe, because to think that your love for people is not the same love they have for you is infinitely depressing.

Favorite Quotes:

I left the sunglasses on. Just because my mom was a gigantic slut was no reason to pass up a perfectly good pair of shades.

I didn't want to be known as 'that chick who's always falling asleep in class.' (There's always one; you know who you are.)

You forget who was cool and who was not, who was pretty, smart, athletic, and not. Who went to a good college. Who threw the best parties. Who could get you pot. You forget all of them. Even the ones you said you loved, and even the ones you actually did. They're the last to go. And then once you've forgotten enough, you love someone else.

Maybe this was just life? One orphaning after the next. They should tell you when you're born: have a suitcase heart, be ready to travel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac.