Harold's Reviews > Wampeters, Foma and Granfalloons

Wampeters, Foma and Granfalloons by Kurt Vonnegut

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: vonnegut
Read from January 08 to 12, 2012, read count: 2

Nothing less than five stars will do for this one.

I wanted to have a better concept of Vonnegut’s personality in preparation for reading Kurt Vonnegut’s biography “And So It Goes.” I thought a book of non-fiction by KV would be appropriate so I revisited this after nearly 40 years since my first reading. I remembered virtually nothing from my original read. My intent was to read a chapter now and then and to alternate with several books of short stories and non-fiction I’ve been reading. After a short period I realized my attention was exclusively with Vonnegut and devoted all of my attention to this volume. I found Vonnegut’s essays and lectures as fascinating as his fiction, a trait he shares with Jorge Luis Borges.

I was struck by how much Vonnegut’s thinking paralleled my own (If only I could write as well!) and by how compellingly he spoke for so many of my generation. Through all of this his signature mix of poignancy and humor, so typical of his fiction, was present at all times. Among the topics discussed are the Vietnam War, the Biafran tragedy, and the presidential campaign of 1972, particularly relevant in this election year and amazingly timely and prescient.

Poignancy and humor

Timely and prescient.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wampeters, Foma and Granfalloons.