Michael's Reviews > The Turtle Boy

The Turtle Boy by Kealan Patrick Burke

Jul 02, 08

I love when an author can write childhood/adolescence well. And one genre where I've seen a number of writers do a stand-up job of this is in horror/dark fantasy. When we're young, our fears and dreams go beyond the mundanities that some (or many) of us end up with as we grow older. And this can be used to great effect in horror to explore topics that mean things to adults as well. Highlights of what I'm talking about would be Bradbury in "Something Wicked this Way Comes", Stephen King in "IT", Joe R. Lansdale in "A Fine Dark Line", Brian Keene's "Ghoul", and this novella from Kealan Patrick Burke.

There's an excellent story in these 97 pages, as we follow Timmy Quinn and his relationships with his parents, his best friend, a burgeoning young love, and a supernatural visitation. I read this in a few short hours, unable to put it down, and am glad that I have the follow up book, "The Hides" waiting for me so I can follow Timmy's story.

Burke won a Bram Stoker for this story, and it's easy to see why. He's a great young voice in horror.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Turtle Boy.