Thenia's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: series, romance, 2012, contemporary
Read from January 07 to 08, 2012

For the best part of the book Ana was blushing, pouting, bemoaning her unworthiness, admiring Christian's appearance, contemplating his issues, drowning in self-doubt, eye-rolling or thinking about the wicked wicked things he might do to her. For the rest, she was biting her lip and enjoying the aforementioned wicked things he did do to her. I am curious as to the definition of the word "intelligent" in this book. How exactly is Ana intelligent? She's one big ball of insecurities with a kinky side that she can't handle. Why would you name something your "inner goddess" oh intelligent one?

Christian, on the other hand, is fucked up and well aware of it. We get to hear aaaall about how interesting he is, how dark and hot etc etc, with very little evidence of either for the biggest part of the book. This is a case where we are told instead of shown something, and I'd like to say that I prefer the latter.

Apart from that, the emails were fun to read and probably the only parts where either of them actually showed us any personality at all. The writing is a little sloppy and there is a LOT of repeating things and phrases and thoughts (but that may be due to Mrs. Insecurity above), and the language is a little inconsistent and forced at parts.

In a nutshell, for most of the book our two main characters were going at it like rabbits, barely having any conversations at all and exploring the alternative BDSM lifestyle. It was an interesting book and even though it reads a little like fanfiction at parts, the story's got potential and could be so much more. I'll read the next one in hopes of it reaching that potential...

01/08/2012 page 263
74.0% "Cigarette burns. Catch up already!"