Foster's Reviews > Global Financial Warriors: The Untold Story of International Finance in the Post-9/11 World

Global Financial Warriors by John Brian Taylor

Jul 03, 08

bookshelves: policy
Read in July, 2008

This was a quick read, and even though it wasn't the best book I've read - there were still some nuggets of good information.

Taylor was an undersecretary at the Treasury in the first Bush term. As such, he played a large role in dealing with the post 9/11 financial crises, as well as setting up institutions in Afghanistan and Iraq. He was also very active in achieving African debt forgiveness.

For Taylor, conducting such activities in the post-9/11 world made one a "Global Financial Warrior." I was expecting something a bit more glamorous, but most of what he describes is generally the usual diplomatic work of an undersecretary.

Overall, the book reads like it was written for an undergraduate classroom - and maybe it was. Taylor has returned to teaching at Stanford. This style makes it pretty boring in parts, as Taylor seems to be cutting-and-pasting his diary into the book. However, there are the aforementioned nuggets where he does a nice job explaining the nuances of various international financial institutions. I definitely learned something from these. There are also some memorable anecdotes, such as the story of the school in Kenya. Now I will always remember that "what gets measured, gets done."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Global Financial Warriors.