Moses Kilolo's Reviews > Daisy Miller

Daisy Miller by Henry James

Jan 10, 2012

Read from January 08 to 10, 2012

Lovely, lovely little book -(or I was maybe just in the mental framework to absorb it!)It's the perfect example of what a novella should be. The text is considerably readable, and the power of the story mounts with each turning page.

I was skeptical in the very beginning, thinking of Winterbourne as a man right after the obvious advantage before him. Daisy is beautiful,she is an American youngster on holiday in Europe with an infinite zest for life, and of course, she is an obvious flirt. His aunt, one Mrs Costello, seems to imagine that her family, the Miller's are not rich enough and hence not worthy of his hunting time. She seems to embody the attitude of the fortune hunters, people who have risen to that stage of culture at which the main coneption is the idea of catching a count or Marchese. Winterbourne is however caught up in the misdirected idea that Daisy is engaged to the handsome Italian Mr. Giovanelli, whom she 'prefers' more. This assumption draw him away from the important knowledge that despite what she says of his rigidity,she would have returned his affection had he expressed it.

Makes us all think of how our lives, the ideas that go through our heads, our choices, our habits, etc etc impact those of other people that we come across.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daisy Miller.