Furny's Reviews > Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Jun 04, 12

Read from May 16 to June 03, 2012

There are so many reviews already for this book so I am just going to summarise my thoughts. If I could have given 4.5 for this book I would have.
I finally got round to reading 'Wolf Hall' spurned on by the release of ' Bringing Up The Bodies'.
I really enjoyed this book however I did find it quite heavy at times and I think it helped that I read a light book alongside it. I found I really had to concentrate to know 'who was talking when' but once I got my head round it clicked in to place. I can understand why this book is a 'Marmite book' as I felt I really needed to be in the mood to read it, so I can imagine many people would find it a slog. No-one can argue with the precise detail and amount of research that shines through Mantel's work though it is truly outstanding and I was in awe and felt I learnt so much reading this book !.
I am now looking forward to reading the sequel which I have heard is meant to be even better as those that have read it feel Mantel listened to her readers after Wolf Hall regarding poise etc and changed it for the better.
Overall a very enjoyable but complex read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf Hall.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kaylene Hiya, Let me know what you think. I started this book and gave up a few days ago....I'm in the minority though as a LOT of people loved it.

Furny Hi Kaylene
I will do. I am enjoying it so far but it is not an easy book and I can see why people struggle with it!.
I am finding I really have to keep with it and concentrate so that's why I am reading Agatha Christie also as it is a relaxed read, so depending on my mood I switch between the two.
I have the sequel 'Bringing Up The Bodies' and two of my friends (one in my book club) said it is better than 'Wolf Hall'. I also picked up 'A Place Of Greater Safety' by the same author as the same friend said it is amazing.
Do not feel bad about giving up on it, life is too short to read books you do not enjoy when there are so many good ones!.
Furny
P.s Thanks for the friend request. :0)

Kaylene Hi Furny,

The writing is very dense isn't it. I found myself getting 'lost'...

A friend of mine who absolutely loved 'Wolf Hall' (part of my reason for giving it a go) is absolutely devouring 'Bringing up the Bodies' at the moment.

I used to feel really bad about not finishing a book and would push on even if I hated it. Not now! There are too many fabulous books out there to waste reading bad ones!!

cheers