Natasa Tovornik's Reviews > Engel des Vergessens

Engel des Vergessens by Maja Haderlap

Jan 07, 2012

bookshelves: auto-biography
Read from January 07 to 14, 2012

This for me was a very interesting book to read, as it describes the events after and during WWII from a perspective of Slovenes living in Austria. With it I understood, that some things really need a lot of time to be reconciled and healed, as they run very deep. I am still thinking about why some parts of the same nation move on quicker than others...
It describes also a lot of nations characteristics, if one takes the story to a broader scale.
Another interesting thing about it (and why it won the Bruno Kreisky Prize) is how non-judgmental the whole book is written, despite describing a deep family sorrow and pain.
At the end it got a bit too confusing and too poetic for my taste, but still a must-read. It stays with you long after you've read it and makes you see the world with different eyes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Engel des Vergessens.

01/09/2012

Fan of a truth Who could possibly write a review with such lack of empathy? Only a New-Ager thinking "(...) why some parts of the same nation move on quicker(...)"! One look at the names given to book shelfs tells you all. Only new-agers believe in "Total Responsibility" myth ("Blaming the Victim" myth) because of their New Age beliefs in omnipotent individuals. It never occurred to them that different parts of the same nation - not unlike different human beings or even different alters of same human being - might have experienced vastly different experiences and live in vastly different environments.

message 2: by Natasa (last edited Feb 11, 2012 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Natasa Tovornik Samo, I appreciate your comment and view of the world. I agree with you, that one can look broader than only nations. It was not meant as a label. Why I choose this view is because I did read through Maja words also the search for nation's identity. It was also my experience and observation, which was not meant to be judging.

As I strongly believe in the freedom of opinions, I thank you for your comment. A review by you will probably help even more readers decide for this book, which as I can see, we both agree is worth reading and cherishing.