Sunil's Reviews > The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Jan 07, 2012

bookshelves: own, 2012
Read from February 22 to March 30, 2012

While The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes had a lot of the classic, popular stories, this collection seems to contain some of Holmes's more offbeat adventures. But then again, it seems all of his adventures are kind of offbeat, as those are the ones that most require his skills of deduction. But here we have an age-old ritual, a missing horse, mysterious coded messages, and a whole lot of brain fever. I grew to like Holmes a lot more, although he's kind of a hilarious ass sometimes with the way he tells people about themselves and then makes it seem like any old fool could have deduced all these very specific things. There's a lot in here to give Holmes a little more character depth, making him feel more like a real person than a mystery-solving machine. Although he didn't get high nearly enough.

The obvious highlights, however, are "The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter" and "The Final Problem." The former story introduces Mycroft Holmes, Sherlock's more brilliant brother, who is basically too lazy to be awesome. And the latter, of course, introduces Moriarty, Holmes's nemesis. It's easily one of the best stories in the canon, forgoing the traditional formula to simply follow Holmes to his inevitable death, having met his match. And he leaves behind his best friend and faithful chronicler, John Watson. (One of my favorite aspects of these stories is the Watson conceit and how well Doyle commits to it, naming stories we've never heard of and hinting at other adventures Watson simply did not write about.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes.

10/27/2016 marked as: read