Valerie's Reviews > Brave New World

Jun 29, 2008

bookshelves: cypresslibrary
Recommended to Valerie by: Dad
Read in January, 1975 , read count: 3

This book is frightening. I'll take it to my classroom and subject the innocents to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

02/15/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon Funny you should say that ... I first read this in school and was subjected to it by one of my English teachers. Can't recall if it was middle or high school though.

Valerie My dad made me read it, along with all the Steinbeck , Bertrand Russell, and George Orwell, yet, somehow, my world view is not so bleak.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim It's such a classic. As scary or more so, now than it was when I first read it in the 70's. It was one of the few books I read before I was forced to. It was also one of the very few SF books that the prep school I went to actually considered to be worthwhile.

I haven't read anything by Russell, I'll have to look into it. Thanks for mentioning him.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Somehow I missed this in high school and college - I just read it a few years ago.
And, yes it is scary.

George King As a retired English teacher, I got a kick out of your review. Check my comment on a teaching experience I had involving LORD OF THE FLIES.

Joey F This book needs to be read. It exposes people to a whole nother world, makes them redefy 'perfect'. What is perfect? Ask the 'innocents' that. If you expose children to a higher level of thinking, they will be a higher level thinker. I just became a teenager, and I can grasp this concept easily.

Siddharth hahaha epic