Sunil's Reviews > Daytripper

Daytripper by Fábio Moon

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: own, 2011, favorites
Read in May, 2011

Brás de Olivia Domingos is a Brazilian obituary writer, son of a famous novelist. Every day he tells the stories of those who have died. He doesn't know that today is the day that he will die. Or is it today? Or maybe...today? What are the most important days of his life? What if any of these days, these days that perhaps embodied that cliché and were the first days of the rest of his life, were the last day of his life?

Welcome to Daytripper, by Brazilian twins Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá (with lovely coloring by Dave Stewart and a worth-mentioning introduction by Craig Thompson), one of the most acclaimed comics of last year.

I find it hard to describe Daytripper. It's a slightly surreal slice-of-life comic that, like so many before it, continues to make the case that comics are fucking art, they are fucking literature, and they should be respected as such.

Each of the ten issues of Daytripper follows Brás through one day of his life in São Paulo (a setting you don't normally see in any medium, let alone comics). Each day examines one of his many relationships with people: his father, his mother, his best friend, his first love, his wife, and so on. As we jump from one point of his life to another, we begin to get a picture of his life and the people in it. Even though I didn't think I'd really gotten to know all the characters in so short a time, they still felt real to me. There are no Shocking Plot Twists waiting for you at the end; this is not that kind of book. It's about the little moments, the moments you remember forever. Brás keeps dying, and it may seem like a gimmick at first, but it becomes a fascinating and tragic "What if?" constantly planted in your mind. What if that really was the last day of his life? What if this day in this issue never even happened to him? Would it be better? Worse? You know it's coming and it still hurts every single time.

I flip through the book and tears come to my eyes.

Daytripper makes me pull out the words I don't use often if I can help it because they need to be saved for the special ones, the ones that can't really be described without them. Daytripper is amazing. Beautiful. Gorgeous. Read this comic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daytripper.