Summer's Reviews > The Secret of the Old Clock

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene

Jun 29, 2008

bookshelves: 2008, juvenile-literature, i-will-lend-this-to-you

I want to give this a five because of the enormous impact it's had on the popular imagination, and because it's the first book in a series that features a female main character who is smart and brave and rescues her boyfriend instead of the other way around, and because I read it about 100000 times when I was a kid, but the writing is just so bad. One thing that never struck me before: why are there so many pairs of siblings in this book? Two aging sisters, two aging brothers, two young sisters, two snobby sisters - what's the point? Is there one?

Anyway, Nancy Drew rocks, kudos to her for lasting this long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of the Old Clock.

02/13/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Dean I agree that the newer revisions are not nearly as well written as the 1930's versions but that's happening to alot of 'good reads'

Lauren I like this. It's an OK thriller. I read a lot but I used to read this series SO much when I was about... 7-8.

message 3: by C. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C. My review gives low stars because of glaring illogical threads. But respect goes to the block-building, pioneering volume.