Summer's Reviews > The Secret of the Old Clock

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene

I want to give this a five because of the enormous impact it's had on the popular imagination, and because it's the first book in a series that features a female main character who is smart and brave and rescues her boyfriend instead of the other way around, and because I read it about 100000 times when I was a kid, but the writing is just so bad. One thing that never struck me before: why are there so many pairs of siblings in this book? Two aging sisters, two aging brothers, two young sisters, two snobby sisters - what's the point? Is there one?

Anyway, Nancy Drew rocks, kudos to her for lasting this long.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of the Old Clock.

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Dean I agree that the newer revisions are not nearly as well written as the 1930's versions but that's happening to alot of 'good reads'

Lauren I like this. It's an OK thriller. I read a lot but I used to read this series SO much when I was about... 7-8.

message 3: by C. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C. My review gives low stars because of glaring illogical threads. But respect goes to the block-building, pioneering volume.