Brie's Reviews > Coming of Age in the Milky Way

Coming of Age in the Milky Way by Timothy Ferris

Jan 30, 13

bookshelves: astronomy, non-fiction, 2012
Read from November 13 to December 05, 2012

Apparently I forgot to write a review on this book when I read it, so I'm writing it now, a couple months later.

If you're looking for a history on astronomy/cosmology, you could do worse than this book. The only problem is it's a bit dated, having been written in 1988, and then updated in 2003. But it does a pretty good job of explaining the discoveries prior to that. Ferris covers all the main points, and gives a good amount of detail to them and the people involved, even if the writing isn't the most entertaining. The book discusses the theories, philosophies, and discoveries of Aristarchus, Archimedes, Ptolemy, Copernicus, Kepler, Brahe, Galileo, Newton, Herschel...and thats just the first half or so of the book, and there are lesser known names as well. Really, any review I give won't do justice to the amount of info that is contained in this book. Just know there is a lot of information covered.

Still, its a good place to start if you're looking for a history of astronomy. You can find what you are interested in, and then find more in depth books on those topics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coming of Age in the Milky Way.

11/20/2012 page 33
6.0% "This book is slow going so far; I hope it gets interesting soon."