Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}'s Reviews > Firelight

Firelight by Kristen Callihan

Feb 15, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012, my-favorites, reviewed, netgalley-reviews, paranormal-romance, demons, historical-romance
Read from February 01 to 05, 2012 , read count: 1

Original Romancing the Dark Side Review:

Dark, dangerous, romantic and captivating! My favorite new read for 2012!

Miranda Ellis hides a secret ability that she has no control over and that has cost her family everything. She knows she will never have a "normal" life, so when the mysterious and dark Lord Benjamin Archer asks for her hand in marriage, Miranda is forced into marriage with the brooding Lord to save the only family she has, her father.

While her mind tells her to fear her new husband, her heart is saying something different. Miranda finds herself charmed by the man who is considered a beast by everyone else, with him she feels at home and hopes to tame Archer and his sometimes brutish ways. Lord Archer has a secret of his own, one he hides behind the mask he wears, one that constantly haunts him. Cursed by his past, he now lives in the shadows, looking for a cure and is determined to find one at any cost. Feared by most women in London society, Archer is anything but the ladies' man, but just one look from Miranda ignites a passion unlike any he's ever known. As fate would have it, Archer soon falls for the beautiful woman under his roof which can prove a deadly mistake, but to keep her he is willing to risk his very soul.

This story will bewitch you and draw you in until the very last word! In Firelight we meet two complex characters, Miranda and Archer, two tortured souls who find acceptance and love in each other. Their romance has a real "Phantom of the Opera" feel to it that is dark, gothic and incredibly romantic. Miranda is a brave woman and not your average naive Victorian heroine. She hasn't had the greatest upbringing, but still has plenty of heart and compassion for others, her character really tugged at my heart strings.

As much as I love our heroine Miranda, the true star of this book is Lord Benjamin Archer. From the moment he speaks I was glued to the pages and the mystery surrounding him is enough to keep you guessing and reading. The romance between Archer and Miranda is pure and beautiful, I adore these two together and love that their relationship developed throughout the book, I couldn't get enough of their flirting and sexual tension building slowly into an explosive passion! Ms. Callihan's intricate and alluring writing takes you into the dark side of Victorian London, where secret societies and science meet in a sexy, yet thrilling romance! Her depiction of Lord Benjamin Archer was so moving I never once saw him as a monster but as a beautiful, tortured creature yearning for love, he's beyond swoon-worthy.

Firelight is everything I want in a love story. With outstanding world building, character development and a suspenseful plot, it truly is a magnificent debut. Great books stay with you far beyond the last page, and that's exactly what Firelight accomplished. Prepare to be blown away by Miranda and Archer!

{ebook courtesy of NetGalley}

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firelight.

02/05/2012 page 215

Fathima I can definitely agree !! Reading it now and LOVING it !!

message 2: by Jocelin (new) - added it

Jocelin Had to buy it because of your review.

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} Jocelin wrote: "Had to buy it because of your review."

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Jocelin, let me know your thoughts on it when you read it!

message 4: by Jocelin (new) - added it

Jocelin Will do.

Schelle Happy to see your review on this one, I've just ordered it and am hoping for something better than 'just average'.