Shawna's Reviews > Keep Me Safe

Keep Me Safe by Skye Warren

Jul 23, 14

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, e-book, erotic-romance-erotica-romantica, romantic-suspense, author-skye-warren, erotica-dark-psychological-taboo, dubious-consent-force-nonconsensual, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, 2012-reads, 4-stars, anthologies-novellas-shorts, bdsm-kink, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, controversial-memorable-event-scene, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, editing-nightmare, ending-abrupt-poor-epilogue-needed, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, first-person-pov, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, hero-brooding, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, i-read-kindle, i-read-own-faves-keepers, kindle, horror-mystery-suspense-thrillers, fcked-up-weird-creepy-azz-book, dark-twisted
Read from January 08 to 09, 2012

4 stars – Erotic Suspense/Thriller

This is a very dark, gritty, violent, and emotional story that is conveyed in an unapologetically raw, candid voice. Despite numerous editing errors, it’s powerful and compelling in its graphic depiction of disturbing, controversial content. It’s told solely from the heroine’s POV, and experiencing her psychological and physical anguish as she’s repeatedly victimized is gut-wrenching at times.

The heroine and quasi hero develop an intrinsic, dysfunctional connection, mostly based on averse attraction and survival, but it’s a dark erotic story (not a standard erotic romance). There were times I really wanted the hero’s POV and for certain aspects of it to be more fleshed out, but Keep Me Safe is a really provocative erotic suspense read, especially for $0.99 cents.

Be warned that this is not for the faint of heart or for those who are sensitive or squeamish about scenes of abduction, captivity, dubious consent, rape, pain, and/or torture. I anticipate this will probably generate polarized ratings/reviews and that some readers will give it one star for the disturbing, objectionable subject matter. But fair warning is given in the book description/summary and the cover says “erotic nonconsent”. Although it’s explicit, I didn’t consider it to be exploitative.

I’ve previously enjoyed two other novellas by this author, Beauty Touched the Beast and Sweetest Mistress, which were very different from this. I’ll definitely read more of her books in the future, including the upcoming Keep Me Safe sequel, Trust In Me .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keep Me Safe.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Shawna (last edited Jan 10, 2012 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shawna Thanks, Baba! I imagine many readers won't like this because of the disturbing content, but I thought it was handled well.

It showed how the heroine experienced as much mental, mind f*ck and emotional damage from her abuse and rape as physical and also demonstrated the victim self blame, Stockholm syndrome mentalities.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter I'll be reading it, Shawna but right now I'm busy with other books. :)

message 4: by .þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] (last edited Mar 02, 2012 11:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] After much thought, I gave into the temptation and reading it now. Crazy book, and even though I was well prepared for what was to come, some of the contents are still disturbing. But I agree with you Shawna, that SW handled the matters very well indeed. I don't really care to read non-consent on a regular basis though. I'm looking at it from a realistic POV. We might not want to read about such incidents, those still happen. I think I'm going to try Trust In Me too. Great review. :)

Shawna Very well said, Punya. I didn't feel that Warren glossed over, glamorized, nor exploited the non-consent aspects, but rather depicted them in a brutally honest way. The heroine's psychological, mental, and emotional anguish and resulting confusion and self blame were conveyed well but difficult to endure. Let me know when you've posted your review 'cause I look forward to reading your thoughts.

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] Thanks Shawna. I finished it so hopfully will post the review later today. In fact, gonna write it now. lol

Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews I may have to read this one. Skye Warren is new to me.

Shawna Becs, It had some errors/issues, but it was still a powerful, thought provoking, dark read. My favorite of hers is actually Sweetest Mistress 'cause it's different and cracked me up! I read the original free version of it, so I'm not sure how much, if any, it's changed.

Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Thanks Shawna - I'll check it out.