Jacquelyn Sylvan's Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Mar 04, 15

bookshelves: my-favorite-books-of-2012, favorites, books-read-in-2013, books-read-in-2014, books-read-in-2015
Read from September 11 to 13, 2012

Even though it's only September, I'm going to go out on a limb and name Unspoken my favorite book of 2012.
In a very, very large nutshell (like a coconut shell?) Unspoken has:

-witty humor like Buffy and Firefly
-angsty drama like Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices
-kick-butt heroines like Kristin Cashore's Graceling/Fire/Bitterblue and Suzanne Collins's Hunger Games
-gothic atmosphere like The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and Franny Billingsley's Chime
-and a whole bunch of other stuff like I DON'T EVEN KNOW

There are books which make you snort and grin, and then there's this book, which made me laugh so hard I had to stop reading. Seriously. I legit LOLed. But at the same time...it's so emotional, it's painful. I remember one part where Kami and Jared were talking...just talking, and no one was leaving or doing anything sad, and I was like, "You're making my heart hurt! Why does my heart hurt and you're not even doing anything?!"

After I finished, I was pouting, because I had no more book to read. I turned to my husband and said, "You know, those f***ing Mayans had better really suck at math, because if the world ends in December, my last thought as the random volcano swallows me up is going to be, 'But I didn't get to read the next boooooook!'"

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

09/11 "Currently experiencing that delicious frisson of knowing this is going to be a REALLY good book."
09/12 "I read this one line, and start laughing so hard I have to stop reading for a minute. Finally get myself under control, go to find my place, accidentally re-read the line...and start laughing again. FOUR tries before I could continue!"
09/18 marked as: currently-reading
09/23 marked as: read
09/11 marked as: currently-reading
09/13 marked as: read
02/27 marked as: currently-reading
03/04 marked as: read

message 1: by April (new) - added it

April See, now I really have to read this. Perhaps I'll wait until christmas.. that way if we all die in December I'll never know what I was missing. lol

Jacquelyn Sylvan Lol! Too bad it's not lendable or I'd send it over!