Scarlett Sims's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Connie Willis

Jan 12, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, history, leisure, mystery, nook, science-fiction, time-travel
Read from January 07 to 12, 2012

In the late 21st century, historians are able to use time-travel to go back and observe the events they study, giving them a unique insider's view of history. Polly, Eileen, and Mike are three such historians who have traveled back to London during the period of the Blitz. When Mike fears he may have done something to change history, all three of them must find a way to get back home--if they can.
The plot is fast-paced and the historical detail is fascinating. While obviously Connie Willis couldn't actually go back and observe wartime London (or Dunkirk), she seems to have really done her research. This is a part of the war I hadn't read about much before, so it really came alive for me. This book has one flaw that I started to realize about fifteen pages from the end--it's a cliffhanger! There is not any resolution at all, so I'm going to need to pick up the second book soon to find out what happens!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.