Veronica Belmont's Reviews > Rule 34

Rule 34 by Charles Stross

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: sword-and-laser
Read from January 07 to February 09, 2012

Rule 34 is interesting in many ways: it deals with a subject matter that is deeply interesting to me (artificial intelligence and what that means for society), is ripe with memes that any internet savvy reader would find amusing, and uses a unique second-person narrative style that takes some getting used to.

The first half of the book is something of a slog: you're introduced to the "main" character (at least in my mind) Liz, and we get an info dump on the world we're going to be visiting for the next 368 pages or so. It's the not too-distant future, and I found the technology to be believable (and intriguing).

I finished the book feeling like I wanted to know more, but I also felt a little confused and lost. I understood what had happened, but I felt like there were loose ends that I needed to know more about. Overall, I probably won't continue with the series (but in the interest of time and many other books that need reading) but it's definitely a book worth discussing.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rule 34.

message 1: by writegeist (new) - added it

writegeist I'll be interested in your review. Generally the response has not been overwhelming positive for this one (unlike one of my favorites: Halting State).

Michael Brown Really enjoying this one as it the first book I have read as part of S&L.

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric Morgan I did quite enjoy it, though not as much as Halting State. The Audible narrator was quite good.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric Booth Just started this and it is taking some time getting used to the 2nd person perspective.

message 5: by Liam G (new)

Liam G I think I'll pick this up after I've finished my current book.

Eric This is actually the 2nd in a series ("Halting State" is the first), and Liz Cavanaugh has a role in that one also. This novel makes several tangential references to the events of that one which took place 5 years prior that become clearer after reading it...