Viccy's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Apr 07, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-lariat-books, science-fiction
Read in April, 2012

This was a perfectly nice book I enjoyed reading. However, I did not find it the great literature others seem to. The permise is inventive, but has been done before (Daemon) and I thought pieces of it were redundant and repetitive. In the year 2044, life as we know it is over, the Earth lies fallow and exhausted and everyone spends their days jacked into the OASIS, the virtual utopia created by James Halliday. When Halliday dies, his avatar announces there is an Easter egg hidden inside the OASIS and the person who finds it first will inherit his entire fortune. After five years of fruitless searching, Wade finds the first key, now there are two more to find and three gates to access. This is Wade's story about finding the keys and solving the puzzle. Halliday grew up during the 1980s, so every clue, every piece of trivia from the 80s is important to the egg hunters (or, gunters, as they are known). However, IOI (Innovative Online Industries) wants the fortune for themselves, so they can control the OASIS; their avatars are hated by the gunters and are known as "Sixers" because all of their OASIS identities begin with the number 6, corresponding to their IOI employee number. The solution is inventive and the book is quite readable. For puzzle-lovers and MMOG players everywhere.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.