Katinki's Reviews > Angelfire

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: ya-stuff-i-like, angel-books
Read from January 24 to 25, 2012

Not a bad little read. Wasn't as good as Angelfall (S. Ee), but nonetheless a rather good story.

Things I liked:

- Will. He's terribly interesting. I want to know lots more about him.
- The concept in general is pretty good. It's a different take on angels and demons (can you guys tell I'm on an angel kick? lol). I like the idea of reapers seeking out souls to build Lucifer's army. I like that there's this eternal battle going on.
- I loved the reveal in the latter portion of the book re: who Ellie really is. My head is still wrapping itself around that.
- Ellie's powers are badass.
- There's a lot of good figh sequences. Really nicely done action and whatnot.
- Some of the villains are really well done. They're delightfully evil.

Some things that I didn't like / would like to see "fixed" in book 2:

- I won't lie, the main protag, Ellie, made me want to throw the damned book/kindle for well over half the book. Some of her behaviors were just asinine. I get that she was supposed to be "human" and have human behaviors but sometimes I wanted to shake her. I'm hoping to see a more mature version of her as the series progresses. I won't count it as a bad strike (yet) because I'm assuming one of the things we're supposed to see in this series is her growth as she remembers more of her past.
- The cliche pull away by Will. Damn. I'm tired of seeing the male protags pulling away from the female protags in the last 10% of the book. I realize it creates romantic drama and all that, but ugh. Again? Really? IDK there seems to be plenty of drama to go around just from the plot itself without having to add in that romantic drama, too.
- Some of the descriptions were too vague or maybe just not rendered well enough for me to imagine. There's several places where Ellie refers to her "power". Yeah, I need to see that. I want to see her glowing and I want to see exactly what that power is. We get a few sequences of that, but I want more.
- Some of the secondaries are kind of useless. Landon? Meh. Kate? Meh. I'm not sure what to make of her dad'd weird behavior. If that doesn't surface again, then meh. If it does and his behavior is explained, I'll be much happier. Not that I care about bad parenting in fiction. I just don't like odd behavior left unexplained. I'm assuming that'll be in later books.

Overall, not bad. The writing is only okay - this "ain't" Night Circus in terms of language and writing skill. But it's fine and it's entertaining. I'll also say/admit that it grew on me. The first half was maybe a 2-2.5 stars with the latter portions at maybe 3-3.5. Hoping for more in the second book. It reads fast, too, so not a bad time investment if you are looking to get in on a series early.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfire.

01/24/2012 page 178
39.0% "this girl is ridiculous. i'm about to throw this book / kindle."